Her majesty, Royal princess Ananya has deigned to pay us a visit in her Diwali holidays. And as usual, she has left it upto her maasi to design new ways of entertaining her. Me and AD (my cousin) took her to Crosswords yesterday where we were fortunate enough to spy on the 'Jungle Book' VCDs. And so home came the warriors, having conquered HRH's boredom for atleast the next day or so.
Yesterday nght over some sweet-corns nd cornflakes, we sat down to watch the movie. And immediately on hearing the song 'Jungle jungle baat chali hai....', i was transported back to the good old days of my childhood. When Sunday morning was the time to catch up with those eagerly awaited toons on DD- 'Junglebook, Ducktales & Tailspin'. I remembered the old man who was undergoing reverse ageing and used to distribute stories out of his 'Potli Baba Ki'. When summer holidays meant playing badminton & carrom the whole day and in-between catching the 3.30 pm shows of 'He-man: Master of the Universe'. When the on-set of the rains meant making paper-boats and dancing on the terrace in the first showers. When winter meant making new ploys on winning the neighbourhood kite-flying competition. When Mom had to literally drag me away from my buddies at dinner time. When the only worry was how to destroy the kite of the neighbourhood bully!
Then came Cable-TV. And i grew on the daily dosage of 'I dream of Jeannie', 'Different Strokes' & 'Bewitched'. My first crush: Capt. Anthony Nelson of 'I dream of Jeannie'. And yeah, not to forget the taklu who used to make participants run & play for money in 'The Crystal Maze'.
Thanks Ananya, for making me relive my childhood again, albeit fleetingly. How I miss those serials! How I wish those days were back!
Nov 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
hey reminded me of one of my earlier posts...n the jungle book days...when there was a contest running..every sunday on the newspaper with a question based on that days episode...used to fill it up n send across...but never won thou :-(
Those shows were simply great ... Duck Tales, Tales Spin, Moglee, Potli Baba ki were all time favorites. I remember i reached late for my scholarship exam because of Tipu Sultan serial. Do you remember the TV show "Jony Soko and Giant Robot" ? The show used to come on DD2 in the evening. The list will go on and on ...
I am fortunate enough to have my profession in entertainment domain. making and selling games. I am still attached with those toons.
From last month, I am downloading Duck Tales and Tales Spin episodes from internet. its huge ... duck tales is 21 GB - 100 episodes out of which I have finished 15 and Tales spin is 10 GB - 60 episodes out of which 30 are done. I am going to run out of my 240 gig HDD space soon :-( . Due to my night unlimited data plan, every night I have to start downloading at 12:15 and my mom unplugs modem at 7:45 morning :-) its going to take two more months at least ..
I couldn't find moglee online. Can you share that with me ?
I randomly bumped into your blog and this is an interesting post. The most memorable childhood TV thing for me is the 'Ek Anek' song that used to appear on Doordarshan. I wonder if anyone really watches dd these days :-). cheerios..!
Hi, I remember that song too 'Ek Chidiya Anek Chidiya'...Nd people,I also forgot to mention Chandrakanta...my sunday morning used to be pretty incomplete without that serial.
Abd yeah Vijit, i used to participate in that Jungle book contest..infact, interestingly i had recd a letter from them that i had won a TV! But then that letter said that that i have to deposit 1500 Rs as handling+taxes, so thinking it to be hoax, i never claimed my prize!!
Mandar, i just have DVDs of the Jungle book series..not all episodes are covered though...u can take them from me anytime u want.
hmnn .. chandrakanta .. right .. another addiction.
I stopped watching it when story got shifted to chunalgadh, pankaj dheer (he was Vish Purush in that .. woww .. kya concept thaa !!!) from original chandrakanta theme.
Post a Comment